Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Google Story

The book began with me feeling a strong connection with the personalities of Lary Page and Sergy Brin, founders of Google. A HEAVY disregard for the impossible, unconventional thinking and all that. Brin's attempt to download the Internet in a week's time was typical Sachin. It eventually took him much more than a year. That is me.

But then, those guys are different. The book cleverly, deliberately misses out on the dirty part of establishing the world's fastest grown start up. The reason why they progressed was because developing a software like PageRank was tough and needed effort and innovation. The book only discusses the glamorous side probably aiming at alluring young engineers to join Google. Don't tell any one but it did succeed in making me feel that way and I might join Google if Page and Brin visit me sometime *joke to be understood by friends only* .

The board room tactics are similar to most biographies. In fact, definitely not one of the best I have read. But the sudden steep growth of a company by two half Stanford PhDs is inspiring. It tells you how important higher education actually is. Moreover, almost all biographies discuss events dating back at least twenty years. Here was a book, discussing business in our era. A product which I have used more than few times. Thus I could relate a lot more. I have not managed to complete my previous two readings ( namely 'Partitions' by Kamleshwar and 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens') and it was a relief to finish a book cover to cover because I just had to. A must read for especially for the people who are at the same stage of their career as me.

Presently reading: 'Straight from the gut' by Jack Welch.

2 comments:

Rashi said...

I recommend it too..a must read, good one !

Sachin Garg said...

thanks for dropping by..
its nuce to have some readership on my second blog esp when i was not aiming for any!